*special thanks to Microsoft for the use of this picture.
On this day dedicated especially for couples, it’s a wonderful excuse to indulge in wine, roses and a decadent box of chocolates. We thought you would delight in knowing that dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that offer tremendous health benefits. Studies show:
- The cocoa bean is one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet and it aids in lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Raw, unprocessed cocoa beans and dark chocolate contain a fair amount of soluble fiber and are packed with important minerals such as Iron, Magnesium, Copper, Manganese, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium.
- Dark chocolate is loaded with organic compounds that are biologically active and function as antioxidants. These include polyphenols, flavanols, catechins, among others.
- Dark chocolate and cocoa’s fatty acids are mostly saturated and monounsaturated with small amounts of polyunsaturates.
- However, it also contains stimulants like caffeine and theobromine, but the amount is so small it’s unlikely to keep you awake at night.
- Dark chocolates often contain some sugar, but the amounts are usually small. The darker the chocolate, the less sugar it will contain.
But dark chocolate is still loaded with calories and is best consumed in moderation.
Here’s wishing you a
Happy, Joyous, Love- Filled Valentine’s Day