Beauty. Every person has a personal definition of what this means and how they want to look. Aging isn’t the most severe thing to happen to the face and body, but it can have a significant impact on the way a person feels as they go about their life. Plastic surgery procedures have regained a height of popularity we didn’t know could happen during a pandemic, so it has us looking at reasons why this may be happening. We’ll discuss them here.
Why is Plastic Surgery So Popular?
On the topic of plastic surgery, one thing is undeniable: plastic surgery achieves lasting results. They may not last forever, the body does continue aging after any procedure, but many people who undergo plastic surgery never repeat their procedure. The results are profound enough to satisfy their desired appearance. Beyond this major effect of surgery, what are the personal reasons a person may choose to see a plastic surgeon?
- Lines and wrinkles. It’s easy to think that lines and wrinkles can be managed with injectables and laser treatments, but there comes a time for some people when surgery feels like a better choice. Procedures like blepharoplasty and brow lift surgery can eliminate deepening creases around the eyes, between the eyebrows, and on the forehead in ways that nonsurgical treatments cannot.
- Loose skin. Loose facial skin is a given. Nearly every adult sees problems like jowls, nasolabial folds, a double chin, or a turkey neck at some point. Tissue laxity is an inevitable consequence of collagen and elastin loss. Even with the development of non-surgical skin tightening procedures, surgical facial rejuvenation can make more sense due to the long-lasting results surgery can achieve.
- Excess skin. Isn’t this the same as loose skin? If you’ve lost a significant amount of weight, you know it’s completely different. Women who have been pregnant, especially with multiples, and people who have lost a lot of weight may be left with loose, redundant skin that sags over clothing or needs to be managed by wearing a binder of some sort. Some plastic surgeons offer body lift procedures aimed at trimming away this excess skin to reveal better body contours.
- Reconstruction. Breast cancer is a potentially serious disease that can have devastating effects on a woman’s health. It is fortunate that we have effective therapies to eradicate breast cancer. However, those therapies may come at a cosmetic cost. Women who have completed breast cancer treatment often choose reconstruction with breast implants to restore a natural, beautiful shape.
- Mom Bod be Gone. Pregnancy and breastfeeding sometimes cause only temporary changes to a woman’s body. Some women, once their weight and hormones return to normal, feel great about their appearance. This isn’t the case for every woman, though. The mommy makeover is an opportunity for a woman to customize plastic surgery procedures around the struggles that trouble her the most. From liposuction to breast augmentation to a breast lift and abdominoplasty, the mommy makeover is known for achieving immensely gratifying results.
Dr. Edwin Austin is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons. He utilizes his vast training and experience to provide patients with the utmost care. To discuss your cosmetic goals, contact us at 503-561-7000 and schedule a consultation at our Salem, OR office.